Thursday, January 26, 2012

Alone


Everyone I love -- everyone I have ever loved -- is at least 7,400 miles away, on another continent, across an ocean. Over ninety-nine percent of everyone I've ever known is in North America (or Europe). And here I am in Australia, so very far away.

It's a little bit of a weird feeling. My life takes place on a different day than yours. Sometimes it feels like I've gone to a parallel dimension, or like I've died and this is existence in the Greek afterlife. I get to observe America from a great distance. I follow its society from 30,000 feet, but I do not intercede in the lives of individuals.

This feeling is exacerbated by how Americans respond when I phone them. "You're calling from Sydney?!" They say it like I died and have returned to Earth through some cosmic ghost-connection.

I'm ready for my wife to come home.

2 comments:

  1. awwww, chris. it's an adjustment but i'm sure your friends and family will come to visit. i know we want to come see you guys down under!

    at least you can speak the language. i still get weird looks like i'm from outer space when i try to communicate. and sometimes when i understand what's going on, i just can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, if anyone can intercede from 7,400 miles away, it's you, man.

    We miss you too.

    ReplyDelete