Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Shake it off

Sunday morning, I arose unusually early for me on a weekend, around 7am. I got a quick coffee and headed across town with the Mrs in a torrential thunderstorm to the Star Casino. Arriving around 8.15, we sat nearly alone in a cavernous room in front of a giant projection screen while small Filipino people used a remarkably wide variety of vacuum implements (backpack-vacuums, zamboni-vacuums, rolling-vacuums, to name a few) to incessantly clean the carpet for several hours.

Why would I do such a stupid thing, you wonder? That was the only way to watch the Saints live (unless I wanted to pay the NFL $50 and stream the thing, which I didn't).

 I've been a little bummed out since the game. I really thought we had it this year. We had the greatest season ever by an NFL quarterback. Ever. Seriously, Drew's was the most prolific and most accurate passing seasons in history. Football nerds everywhere are mumbling the tired cliche, "Defense wins championships, man." Yeah, fine. But the defense was strong. It wasn't the best unit in the league, but they were remarkably good at getting stops when they needed them. And Drew was just the best guy on a pretty good team. Darren Sproles? The receivers were great, the O-line was great, and the running game was strong. I really thought we had it this year.

But it wasn't to be. The game will probably go down as one of the best in NFL history, but I could not possibly give less of a FUCK about that. We'll see yall next year.

Now it's time to shake it off. The truth is that it doesn't sting as much ever since the Miracle in Miami. I still cry when I watch that.

And pitchers and catchers report in about a month. The Yankees just did a huge deal that got the hot stove a roarin. They shipped The Jesus to Seattle-beria and got a Stud pitcher in return. Not to mention a young guy who looks like he has a pretty good shot at becoming ace material himself. I love it. This gives them what they need to win those post-season series.

If both of these guys make it, this will be the best trade the Yanks ever made, even if the Jesus has a great career with the Ms. And hey, I'm an Ms fan too, so it's great to see them get something for the middle of the lineup. Jesus will hit.

Yankee home games will start at 11am here, with most of the road games even earlier. That should make for a fun day once in a while come Fall.

1 comment:

  1. omg, i can totally relate to the saints game. i've never been so happy and so bummed in less than 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete