Some of my posts have gotten quite long, so in this post about two Aussie blokes who will be playing in the NCAA's BCS National "Championship" Game, I will not spend time talking about how truly shitty it is that US college football lacks an actual championship game and instead lets old rich white dudes pick two teams who will play to claim the title of "national champion." I will also not discuss how truly shitty it is that these idiots have picked Alabama to play undefeated LSU in this farce of a "championship" game, since there are many other really good teams who have just one loss (like Alabama) and who have not already been beaten by LSU earlier this season (again, like Alabama). Finally, I will at no time refer to the Alabama Crimson Tide by using my favorite nickname for this ridiculous excuse for a university, "the Menstruators."
No, instead I will simply link to the story and point out why the story is interesting and thus why you should go read it. It is interesting because the two fellas have both had unusual life journeys (perhaps that part is obvious) and because it illustrates some funny cultural differences (and asymmetries) between America and Australia through those journeys.
Particularly interesting for me, and for other fans of American football (and possibly Aussie rules fans as well), is learning about how playing Aussie rules football has ably prepared Brad Wing to be a to be a fantastic punter. Some pundits claim that the kicking game is a strength of the Pac-12 (nee -10). But, as a long-time Tennessee Volunteers fan (another SEC team, like LSU and Alabama), I saw first hand from watching Dustin Colquitt play just how much exceptional punting can affect the outcome of a game.
No comments:
Post a Comment