Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sepo

That's the derogatory term for Americans, Sepo or Sep. It's short for Septic Tank.

Septic Tank, Yank.

Why? Because you're full of shit.

Hollywood, GOP politics, etc. Its bang-on, for a generalized national insult.

Tellingly, I'm not even really offended at the thought of being called a Sepo. I haven't actually been called that by anyone yet, but I'm sure I will be eventually. It's more amusing than anything else. It's difficult for me to deny that many of us (most of us?) and probably our society as a whole are pretty full of shit. And I'm sure it seems even more so from the outside, where you get the media nonsense full-on.

Sometimes I cringe when I have to speak in public places. You know the old Mark Twain saying about how sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? As soon as I open my mouth, I can see the heads turn and gazes fix on me. I can feel the assumptions forming. Fortunately, I have found Australians to be pretty friendly, once you get talking, and they generally have a positive view of Americans.

It's funny how, when you're a foreigner, you can't really escape being associated with so many things you loathe just because they're also from the same country. Things like unabashed enthusiasm for firearms, reality TV, idiot politicians, illegal wars, country (and other really shitty) music, or the New England Patriots. You hate them, yet they're associated with you, because you're both American. You can't escape it. I guess it could be infuriating if you let it. You have to hope people can see past the stereotypes.

1 comment: