Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lodgment

Finally, at long last, today I "lodged" (as they say) my Form 16 application with the Legal Profession Admission Board of New South Wales. I used the in-person lodgment option by riding my bike downtown with the application package in a sweat-proof binder in my backpack. After giving me a salutational grunt, the guy at the desk took the application package from my outstretched hand and rummaged through the documents for a few minutes before he unceremoniously tore open the seal on my official law school transcript, voiding its "official" status -- even though the LPAB's own rules clearly say the transcript must be official. After that, I had the urge to "lodge" my application a little more forcefully.

It will take the folks at the LPAB -- none of whom seemed particularly swamped when I walked into their office this afternoon -- a mere six to eight weeks to use my $200 application fee to review my single-page law school transcript, single-page letter of good standing from the Oregon State Bar, and my (admittedly two-page) letter describing my legal experience. Including the application form, which has critical information such as my name, address, phone number, law school, and signature, that's five whole pages of paperwork. If you're wondering, that's an amazing average of 0.71 pieces of paper reviewed per week. That's a blazing clip for an American government worker, and by the looks of it the Australian government worker is every bit as efficient.

After this exhaustive review process, the LPAG will be able to say what additional education and/or practical experience I require before being admitted to practice as as a solicitor here in the great state of NSW. Then I will get to take some law classes, e.g., Australian Constitutional Law. Then I can apply for a visa that will allow me to work. So I should be working here in Australia shortly before I hit retirement age.

No comments:

Post a Comment