I finally had an opportunity the other day to patronize an Australian institution, Harry's Cafe de Wheels, and its amazing Tiger Pie. This thing is fantastic!
Its base is beautifully-cooked beef and gravy inside a flaky pastry crust (the pie). That is topped with a giant lump mashed potatoes and mushy peas, which is hollowed out to accommodate a ladle full of gravy.
To wit:
The photo doesn't even do it justice. (Or what's left of it, anyway.) It's my new favorite, and I'll probably be heading over to Woolloomooloo (that's a Sydney neighborhood and, yes, that's the correct spelling) as often as I can.
The beef is outstanding. It's not like the beef you would get in a bistro or even a decent steak restaurant in the US. The lack of quality in meat in most places in the US is one main reason why I rarely eat meat anymore when dining out. I find the meat generally of much higher quality here than in the US. And no risk with the Tiger Pie. Its beef is lean and cooked until soft, similar to BBQ. And the gravy is sublime. Same for the mashed potatoes, the peas, and the pie crust.
This is English food at its finest. The fare of my childhood. I know this is technically Australian, and the Tiger Pie is certainly a unique thing, but this is the legacy of the the food brought by the Colonists. Its food evolution Down Under.
A lot of ill-informed American tourists think English food sucks, and certainly some of it does, but most of them travel to England and go eat at the Old World equivalent of McDonald's on holiday. That doesn't help much.
Tiger Pie is WHERE ITS AT, YO. Try one and I'm sure you will agree.

gonna have to find a recipe, looks great!
ReplyDelete