Friday, December 23, 2011

I'm a very good driver

Like the Rainman, yo.

I drove for the first time in Australia yesterday, extending my unblemished driving record to a third continent. I went northward through downtown Sydney, out to the western suburbs on the M2 motorway, and back to Kirribilli on the M2. Most of that featured pretty heavy city and holiday traffic, and there was rain off and on, so I'm thinking I have handled about the worst Australia can throw at me.

No issues, except for occasionally signaling my turns by engaging the windshield wipers.

The speed limits can be ridiculously low, which helps if you're a noob. For example, the construction zone speed limit on the M2 is 60km/hr, which is about 37mph. We all know nobody actually goes 45mph in the construction zones on the interstate highways in the US, but here you are actually forced (by speed cameras) to go 37mph through the construction zones. It's painful. And I'm not even sure how it's safer for these guys when they're four lanes over behind concrete barriers anyway. But since the M2 will be perpetually under construction for the remainder of my natural life, I'm going to have to get used to it.

Also, Wapner's on at 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment