April 4, 1975 is a landmark date for me. It is the date I
first set foot in the United States. That historic event took place at John F.
Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York. I was a wee toddler at the
time, but the date (if not the experience itself) has remained significant for
me because of what it represents. My family was seeking to pursue the American Dream, as do so many others arriving in New York City.
Nearly 40 years later, I feel like I have lived the American
Dream during my time in the United States. I do not mean to suggest I have
achieved the economic security and independence of which we all dream. I most
certainly have not. But I have lived pretty well. I have gotten a world-class
education (two, actually), made some great friends, done good work that I am proud of, and finally met
and married the love of my life. Along the way, I have had ample time and
sufficient money to enjoy excellent recreation
and travel and lots of other fun things and good times. I've even been able to splurge occasionally on some of the "finer things."
So perhaps today, December 7, 2011, will be another landmark date for me. Today is the day I leave for an extended stay in Australia. As I await my flight at the San Francisco International Airport, I am still not sure whether I will be a vacationer, a short-term worker, or an immigrant. It will, in part, depend on what opportunities I find down under and the speed of the economic recovery in the Pacific Northwest. But it will also depend on what I find in the people and places of the Great South Land. I will open myself to it and enjoy the experience. I will decide later. For now, I have the best of both worlds.

Bon voyage, Chris. Can't wait to hear of your adventures/exploits.
ReplyDeleteAlso, cool pic. Kind of. Plans to shoot some people? With a ridiculously large revolver?
LOL. The pic is (a statue of) Ned Kelly, an Australian icon of the eternal struggle against injustice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_kelly. The picture was taken by Bones Hilllman of Midnight Oil.
ReplyDeleteFrom the Wikipedia article -- "Kelly's head was allegedly given to phrenologists for study then returned to the police, who used it for a time as a paperweight."
ReplyDeleteLOL. Only in Australia.